2023 Annual Report
We’re delighted to share our highlights from 2023. Here’s a preview of our significant achievements:
- Launched the first-ever complaint under the Australian Code of Practice on Disinformation and Misinformation. After revealing that X (f.k.a. Twitter) shut down user-reporting for electoral misinformation across global markets, including Australia, they were struck off the Code.
- Secured government commitment for a Children’s Privacy Code, building on years of research and civil society convening efforts.
- Brought ‘systems and processes’ digital risk assessments to the Australian market, by comprehensively testing the following efforts of TikTok, Facebook, and X in the referendum:
- Recommender systems (or algorithms)
- Content moderation
- Advertising approvals
- Highlighted the failings of co-regulatory models frequently used in digital regulation in Australia, by exploring the failures in child protection created by industry-drafted online safety codes.
- Made public how vulnerable Australians’ data is secretly commercialised and traded.