We're hiring - Policy and Research Officer
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contract Duration: 12 Months (with possibility for extension)
Salary Range: $65,000-85,000
About the Role
Reset Australia is seeking a Policy & Research Officer to help advance our policy development and advocacy work tackling digital threats to democracy in Australia. Working with a leading team of strategists, advocates and creatives, the successful candidate will contribute to research, policy development, submissions and the development of advocacy campaigns.
The position is a full-time 12-month maximum term contract based in our Sydney office with potential for extension. Contracting and employment will be through our partner Purpose.
The successful candidate will collaborate closely with our strategy, creative and campaigning teams. We’re looking for team players with passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit.
- Research and analysis
- Assists in the development and refinement of hypotheses to define research question(s) and structure/plan across complex policy issues; conduct strong research
- Review complex policy issues by sourcing, analysing and evaluating quantitative and qualitative information;
- Keeping up to date with the big tech regulatory landscape in order to inform our project work and strategy
- Translates from research & analysis to identify primary insights and opportunities to pursue across multiple workstreams, develops thought-provoking robust arguments and recommendations, with guidance and feedback.
- Creates clear and compelling communication outputs that synthesise research and policy documents, supporting research and writing opinion pieces, submissions, correspondence, and other written materials that integrates with projects and overall organisational strategy,
- Confidently presents and facilitates discussion of own work, and comfortable presenting internally as well as externally with relevant stakeholders; able to engage in related and broader project context discussion and questions.
- Partner/sector engagement
- Collaborating with key external stakeholders (including online safety advocates, the research community, industry, market bodies and state and federal governments);
Training in Reset Australia’s and Purpose’s research, strategy and campaigning methodology and processes will be provided.
- You are passionate about the evolution of the technology industry and/or public policy and are intellectually curious.
- Completed a relevant undergraduate or postgraduate degree in public policy, Law, Science, or other relevant degree.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical and research skills with an ability to assess, synthesise and review various external sources of information, and can understand and assess the relative merits of different research methodologies.
- Advanced written and oral communications capabilities to communicate effectively and build good relationships both internally and externally. You should have good persuasive writing skills and an ability to write in plain language.
- Experience working with affected and diverse communities is a strength.
- High bar for quality, rigour and integrity in your own work and colleagues’, and confidence in a deadline-driven environment
- Passion, a strategic mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit, with an interest in advocacy
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role using this form.
We are an equal opportunity employer. As we take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, people of colour, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Reset Australia
Reset Australia is a policy research and advocacy organisation committed to raising awareness and advocating for solutions to address digital threats to democracy.
Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilisation and storytelling to help leading organisations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.